Make Your Selection Below
Freeze Drying R&D Consultancy
World-Class Lyophilization Contract Research Organisation (CRO)
Biotechnology, pharmaceutical and food production/nutraceutical companies throughout Ireland depend on BPS Crowthorne’s specialist expertise and experience in freeze drying. We enable them to achieve critical enhancements in formulation quality.
Freeze drying is a highly specialised area of research with few truly experienced experts. So companies from large global organisations with Irish offices to small independent firms rely on BPS Crowthorne’s/Biopharma Group’s ground-breaking development work and decades of experience in lyophilization.
Clients outsource a wide range of research projects to our expert team, which is led by Director of R&D Dr. Kevin Ward, renowned internationally for his pioneering work in the freeze drying of red blood cells and his continuing research and thought leadership in lyophilization.
Why Use A Contract Research Organisation (CRO) For Freeze Drying?
Large pharmaceutical companies no longer need to do everything in-house. Outsourcing research to a secure CRO reduces costs, saves time – and provides confidential third-party insight at every stage of the development process.
Our contract research incorporating the latest in freeze drying techniques, best practices and technology can significantly enhance product stability and viability whilst reducing the costs of development, production, transportation and storage across a wide range of applications, including:
- pharmaceuticals – drug/vaccine development, in vitro diagnostic (IVD) products, therapeutics
- biotechnology – collagen, hydrocolloids, liposomes/exosomes, human tissues, cells and bacteria
- food production and nutraceuticals – extending the shelf-life of a wide range of products.
You will benefit from greater efficiencies; your new products and solutions will get to market faster.
Why BPS Crowthorne For Freeze Drying CRO?
BPS Crowthorne, as a part of Biopharma Group, is a world leader in lyophilization research – a CRO that can offer a complete single-source solution from benchtop research to pilot-scale and production contract manufacturing and training.
Our dedicated lyo lab team has not only collaborated on pioneering research in freeze drying; it has also developed specialist analytical instruments required to progress these studies.
We collaborate with a wide range of clients from major corporates to academia and charities (including a major cancer charity). Continuing research grant support testifies to our extensive success in leading bids for funding.
Production capacity is now higher than ever thanks to more freeze dryers in our lyo laboratory in Winchester, UK – thus enabling increased levels of contract research and development to be conducted on a wide range of products, in addition to contract manufacturing for diagnostic kits, IVDs and vaccines.
Cytotoxic samples are analysed in dedicated standalone lab facilities built to Class 7 standards.
Freeze Drying CRO Services
- Product characterisation (with detailed reporting) – providing an early indication of any changes needed in formulations.
- Freeze Drying Microscopy (FDM) – the only method for reliably determining collapse temperatures. Essential for the quantitative scientific development of lyophilisation cycles.
- Differential thermal and impedance analysis – using the Lyotherm frozen-state analyser to investigate changes within the frozen product.
- Moisture analysis by Karl Fisher Coulometric Titration to see how much moisture is left in your product after processing – analysing the overall success and efficiency of the lyo process.
- Modulated Differential Scanning Calorimetry (mDSC) to identify glass transitions, crystallisations and other events (verifying whether the freeze-dried product will remain stable in long-term storage).
- MicroPress analysis to determine and quantify the robustness and max stress levels of the post-lyo dried cake
- Mechanical testing such as Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) and X-ray Diffraction Analysis (XRD).
- Formulation development – to improve the freeze drying of labile materials such as proteins or living organisms. Our team has worked on more than 3,000 different products (drug molecules, large and complex biomolecules, foods, tissues and cells).
- Cycle development – robust, repeatable, efficient processes (usually created within three runs).
- Dynamic Vapour Sorption (DVS) analysis to determine upper and lower humidity limits for product storage.
- Scale up and optimisation research to obtain key data affecting essential product characteristics.
- Outsourced production.
- Process review – for scale up, product evolution, regulatory submissions.
- Cytotoxic handling in safe, secure, standalone facilities (Class 7).
Contact BPS Crowthorne For Freeze Drying CRO & Consultancy Services
Phone or email BPS Crowthorne for more information about CRO services for freeze drying applications. Ask us about partnerships and opportunities to bid for funding.